Bean Casserole with Crispy Onion
2 medium yellow onions, halved and thinly sliced
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons panko or plain breadcrumbs
1/2 teaspoon table salt
Freshly ground black pepper
Canola, safflower, peanut or other high-h
Make the crispy onions: Toss onion with flour, breadcrumbs, salt and pepper. Heat a 1/2-inch or so of oil in a 12-inch cast iron skillet until a drop of water flicked into it will hiss and sputter. Add onions, just a handful at a time in something close to a single layer, and fry until a light golden brown (they’ll get more color in the oven; I overcooked mine a bit, forgetting this). Remove with a spider or large slotted spoon, let oil drip off a little, back into the skillet, then spread onions out on paper towels to drain. Repeat with remaining onions. Set aside until needed; this makes a lot.
Ingredients for a bean casserole
2 large handful of green beans [approximately 1 lb]
2 tbs oil
1 garlic, minced
1/8 cup onions, diced
1/4 cup flour
1/2 cup sour cream
salt and pepper to taste
• Remove the bean ends and pull off the tough stringy bit from the sides.
• Rinse beans under cold running water.
• Chop into 1-1/2 inch lengths.
• Place chopped beans in a wide bottomed pot
• Add water to the level of the beans and salt it.
• Bring it to boil, reduce to simmer and place a lid on the pot.
• Cook beans until tender.
• Meanwhile make the roux.
• Melt the oil in a non stick fry pan.
• Add the onions and the garlic and sauté until very soft.
• Stir in the flour and cook until flour is a golden color.
• Add cold water and stir smooth.
• When the beans are cooked, stir in the roux.
• Bring it to simmer and then add 1/2 cup of sour cream.
• Adjust the salt and add the ground pepper.
• Remove pot from heat and set aside.
• Serve the bean casserole with crispy onion and french toast with grilled cheese.