This rich, custard-like stuffing is also a great main-course option for vegetarians at the Thanksgiving table; it would be nice with a salad for brunch or lunch, too.
Mushroom Bread Pudding
Write a review
- 6 cups (1/2-inch-diced) bread cubes
- 3 tablespoons good olive oil
- 1 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 large onion diced
- 1 1/2 pounds cremini mushrooms, stems trimmed and 1/4-inch-sliced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh marjoram leaves
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 4 extra-large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat the oil and butter in a large (12-inch) saute pan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes, until starting to brown. Stir in the mushrooms and cook over medium heat for 8 to 10 minutes, until the tender. Stir in the marjoram, 1 tablespoon salt and 11/2 teaspoons pepper and cook for 10 to 12 minutes, until most of the liquid evaporates, stirring occasionally. Off the heat, stir in the parsley.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, cream, vegetable stock . Add the bread cubes and mushroom mixture, stirring well to combine. Stir well and pour into a 2 1/2-to-3-quart gratin dish (13 x 9 x 2 inches). Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until the top is browned and the custard is set. Serve warm or room temperature.
- You can sprinkle a breadcrumbs on the top, and put some portobello mushroom slice for decoration.
Now Your Turn http://nowyourturn.ca/